What can you do for low back pain?
In today’s article, we will be discussing some exercises that you can do for low back pain being that it is the most common reason for doctor visits especially in the United States. Here is something you can do that is simple self care/ self managing for acute or even chronic back pain outside of our office. The beauty of these exercises is that they are gentle and can be done at home or in your work place even.
You can perform this either sitting or standing in a position or even when you’re at work on a break. Remember, you don’t have to make it difficult at all, but you should definitely perform the exercises slowly and get a fully firm stretch without pain.
If you are having sharp pain,you need to know when to stop. If this does happen, make sure to take a few deep breaths to relax the muscles. Even if you can only do these exercises for a few minutes per day, they can make a huge difference in how you feel.
Let’s start with some sitting exercises:
- Sitting forward bend: reach down to the floor as far as you can go
- Trunk rotation: rotate/twist your back gently on both sides
- Cross legged stretch: cross one leg over the other and pull it to the same or opposite shoulder
- Hamstring exercise: place your hands under your thigh and pull your leg up to your chest
- Forward pelvic tilt: place one foot on an elevated surface and arch your back until you feel a firm stretch in the hamstrings
- Toe touch: lean down and reach your hands to your toes
- Groin stretch:do the same steps as the hamstring, but this time rotate your trunk to the side
These exercises should help you a little, but of course if your pain doesn’t subside, come in and see us so we can examine you and see what’s going on. We also have many video exercises as well that you can try, but again, take heed of the advice given above, any sharp pain, stop what you are doing.
We are walk in friendly, accept insurance and would love to help you get out of pain. If you want, you can schedule an appointment as well if you are needing to be seen at a specific time.